Friday, December 4, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

We decided to lose our minds and travel with our 5 kids to Knoxville, TN and Louisville, KY this year for Thanksgiving. We took the kids out of school early and loaded up the ole minivan. I think we made it maybe 10 miles before someone asked for a snack and a movie. The car ride was every bit as awful as you could imagine while traveling in the day with kids ages 21 months to 8 1/2.  Really, I'm probably the worst... While my awesome husband listens to podcasts with his headphones, I'm fending off boredom, starvation, wars, and car sickness. My eyes seethe with anger, you know the look. We roll into Ronnie's childhood home that night and the kids thankfully went to bed easily. Four kids in one room with Smith in a pack n play with us ( We did this in Kentucky too).
      My mother-in-law makes the best fudge, so of course I had a piece before bed. The next day we took it easy, hung out,  and let the kids play outside before it turned freezing cold. On Sunday afternoon we had a big thanksgiving meal with Ronnie's family. Ronnie's parents, Ronnie's brother and wife and kids, their cousin and kids, and our family of 7. For whatever reason I signed up to do a turkey trot 5k at 3pm so I could only eat a little before we left. I made up for it when I got back thankfully. The kids had fun playing in the garage with new toys and climbing on papaw's boat and pretending they were on adventures. Ronnie and I even got to do some outlet shopping before we headed to Kentucky.
       It's about a 4 hour drive from Ronnie's parent's house to my parent's house. You'd think this leg would be the easiest, but it was probably the hardest. Who knows why?  Maybe because they were trapped inside because of the weather. My kids NEED the outside, ya know? Mama needs them to burn off a smidge of energy each day. Tuesday night we just hung out with my parents. Wednesday we got to catch up with old friends and it was awesome!! Wednesday night we did Lights Under Louisville which is a drive through light show in an underground mega cavern. My brother got in to town late Wednesday evening too. Thursday we had a big breakfast and then opened Christmas presents. After the kids played for a bit we went to walk around a new park with some silos. We finished getting the meal ready while the kids played on my parents creekbed. Amen and hallelujah for a pretty afternoon.
     Thanksgiving meal was divine per usual and we ended the night playing the traditional game our family plays which is Thanksgiving bingo. Smith woke up all night long and so Friday morning I took him to an urgent care center to get the send off of a double ear infection. We decided to head home early because we figured the 11 hour car ride home would be a trial. We drove home in a torrential downpour the whole car ride except for the last 30 miles of light rain. Thankfully we made it home safe and sound and were thrilled to be back in our own beds. The silver lining is when I walked through the door, I walked into am spotless house. Ronnie had secretly called a cleaning lady to come and fix up the house to be ready for our arrival home. What a treat!! We all have those family members that we laugh, cry, or cringe at and our family is not without exception. But, that is what makes for great stories and memories. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!!





No comments:

Post a Comment